Friday, August 20, 2010

TaDa!!

Pasta, pasta everywhere!  I tried two recipes, one with three eggs and no oil, the other with five eggs and a little oil.  One I cut tagliatelle and the other fettuccine.  The recipe with oil was easier to work with (or maybe I was just getting the process down a little better).  I felt like Lucille Ball in the candy factory...up to my elbows in flour, rolling dough like a madwoman, strands of pasta piling up all around.  I cooked a small portion of each batch separately and, not wanting to disguise any difference in taste, dressed the pasta with just butter, oil, and garlic.  Dang, that's good stuff!  I couldn't discern any appreciable difference in the flavor of the two noodles, but there is little similarity between store-bought and homemade.  The homemade has substance, more "tooth," and even a small plate is much more satisfying.  The problem now, of course, is that I have a mountain of noodles drying, piles waiting in the fridge...and I want to keep making more!  Christmas is coming...hmmm. 

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Good thing you don't have ADHD - I can see "Lucy" running around from one project to the next saying, "Oh, I want to make pasta"..."now I want to start quilting," "oo-oo, now I have a hankering for fudge!!" What fun that the pasta turned out so well. My all-time-favorite at The Spaghetti Factory (and I know, I know - just store bought spaghetti noodles) is their mizithra cheese over spaghetti and browned butter - lots of it - swimming in it!! Haven't had it for years, but now I HAVE THE HANKERING - thanks a bunch!! (Just looked up mizithra and it is made from raw ewe OR GOAT milk...here's your next project!!!)

Linda Cox said...

Sounds yummy Kathryn. I have an old school "heart attack on a plate" recipe too for fresh lemon pasta that I'll send along. I think you have most of the ingredients on hand, even the crab thanks to Craig. I can’t believe that you got that machine for 75% off! I lusted for years before I finally splurged on a basic Atlas roller and cutter. The anticipation and lust were as satisfying if not more than the actual playtime with the machine. There is a song on the new Arcade Fire album entitled “We Used to Wait” that speaks to this a bit.

Bo said...

OMG, Kathryn...haven't been to the Spaghetti Factory for umpteen years, but ALWAYS had half mizithra and half white clam sauce. The combination is to die and go to heaven. BTW, the mizithra is so easy to make at home. Forgive me, I'm drooling! Lemon and crab, Linda...what could be better?! Unrequited love is one thing, denied lust is another. The pasta would have been good at full price, but the bargain I got put it over the top! I really am in Lucy mode...thinking up sauces I could make and can now for Christmas presents (to go with packets of pasta, of course).

Kathryn said...

You guys are a riot - nice to see some back and forth in the comments. And it DOES sound like you have your Christmas ideas all lined up. Who WOULDN'T want to be on the receiving end of Lucy's Lucious Pasta and Sauce(es) Christmas Basket. So...is the raw pasta elastic enough to tie a loose bow around the cellophane and then dry in place???? Awaiting your reports!!