Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back to Normal

"Normal" is such a relative term, but it appears we're back to business as usual.  It's as if we'd slipped into a corner of the Bermuda Triangle for a day.  The squirrels were back in full force yesterday.  I'm not sure they weren't smiling...perhaps they'd taken an excursion bus for a trip up to Tahoe.  Who knows?  Having them all disappear like they did was very unsettling.

My friends in Fiddletown throw a Star Party every year in August.  It's the time of the Perseids.  I wasn't able to attend last night, but I did go out to stand on the deck and look at the night sky.  I just realized that this movie I call "My Life" has a sound track...I hear music almost all the time...in fact, I wake up most mornings with a song playing in my mind.  Last night it was "Vincent's Song."  It was almost Forties trite..."Starry, starry night..." as I looked up at a sky filled with diamonds.  (Whoops!  Just slid into "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.")  There are no city lights here to dilute the star shine and there was just a sliver of moon, so the Milky Way splashed across the canopy and Liz Taylor's jewels couldn't compete with the sparkles I saw.  As I watched, two meteors streaked, so I got to make two wishes (and I'm not telling).  I'm sure it has something to do with the earth's rotation, but August is the month when falling meteors are most visible.  Definitely worth going outside and getting a crick in your neck.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I'd be happy to get a crick in my neck, but the coastal sky is just too loaded with clouds to see the Milky Way...so you will have to enjoy the showers for those of us who can't see the Starry, Starry Nights!

And glad the critters are back to their normal activities. Oh, I had fun with relatives and friends...my 28 year old nephew knew the word, "abattoir," but my son and his girlfriend and her mother did not, however they thought the word sounded familiar, but someone thought it might be likened to a "non-religious" ablution!