Sunday, August 8, 2010

Farview Follies

Twas a day fraught with faux pas.  Arden knows this is going to be a tell-all episode, so I'm not changing the names to protect the innocent.  Arden is unerringly prompt for appointments...I am, unfortunately, not.  We were due to set off on our outing at eleven and I was racing to finish in the barn and get sluiced off before she arrived.  Eleven came...and went.  Eleven-thirty...twelve.  Becoming concerned, I called, and she answered!  The wine tasting had simply slipped her mind.  No problem; we weren't on a tight time schedule.  She got here at two and we set off for Slug Gulch, but I had to stop to mail a couple of letters.  I don't pick up my mail every day, but I was surprised at the large amount of mail in the box.  As I gathered it up, I noticed a magazine to which I do not subscribe.  Ah, the mail lady has misdirected mail!  I checked the address, and then the mailbox.  It wasn't the mail lady who was misdirected.  I hurriedly stuffed my neighbor's mail back in her mailbox, sure I was guilty of a federal offense, pulled my mail out of my box, and walked back to the truck...with the two letters I'd meant to mail still in my hand.  At Oakstone, Arden was sure she knew one of the pourers, went up to him and used the oldest line in the book.  "Haven't I seen you somewhere before?"  This older gentleman lit up like a Christmas tree, sure that Arden was hitting on him.  He was so disappointed to find that she was not.  Back at home, after dinner we got to discussing movies and actors, and she asked if I had a particular Meryl Streep movie.  I wasn't sure, but checked my VHS tapes and DVDs.  I looked through so many, I forgot what I was actually looking for...and Arden couldn't remember, either.  After all the goofs of the day, this was one too many and we got to laughing so hard.  With just a little work, we could take our show on the road...but we'd probably get lost.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ok...have you decided which of you is Freida and which is Flossie (from my friend in Ohio), or which one is Frick and which one is Frack?? Notice, I did NOT say which is Tweedle Dee and which is Tweedle Dum! Good Sunday morning chuckle - thanks!! And did you ever get your letters mailed??

Cally Kid said...

The Dynammic Duo share the common characteristic of constant distraction. Hopefully not a new affliction known to come from those of a "certain age" but just one exacerbated by an exuberant Slug Fest day filled with food, drink and celebration. You really do need to break the nosey habit of riffing through the neighbors mail!

Kathryn said...

"How Ya Gonna Keep'em Down on the Farm, After They've Seen Paree??"

Linda Cox said...

I knew that you two still had the wattage to light up a bartender!