Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Totem's Back

Did I just see what I thought I saw?  Talking with my friend in Seattle yesterday, from the corner of my eye I caught sight of a tiny tail zipping behind one of Bessie's stuffed toys across the room.  Oh, good grief, what creature has moved into the house now?  Phone in hand, I went to investigate and found a misguided lizard, a baby, smaller than my little finger.  Linda waited patiently while Lizzy and I played hide-and-seek a minute until I caught her (him?) and took the mini-totem outside to put in one of the flower pots.

Lizards are health nuts.  They never walk when they can run.  They get plenty of Vitamin D.  They do about a thousand push-ups a day.  They avoid carbs and eat plenty of protein.  They make me tired just thinking of their strenuous routine.  Since I am a confirmed slug in the exercise department and a carbaholic, how a lizard became my totem is beyond me.

I think Bessie's meds are kicking in.  In the afternoon, she had more bounce in her step and more sparkle in her eyes.  Using Linda's phrase, I am "cautiously optimistic" that Bess is on the mend.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Maybe your totem "completes" you...LOL!! Glad your totem is not a SKUNK!