Thursday, June 14, 2012

Watch Your Step

Little peeper frogs have always colonized the potted plants on the deck, singing their night songs, enjoying their mini-pools in the saucers under the pots.  Big warty toads have been much more scarce until this year.  This year they're everywhere.  In the daytime, they rustle under the leaves.  In the evening, I really have to look down as I do chores because they're out in the driveway, in the paths to the coops, and in the barn.  Frogs fling themselves as if shot by cannons; toads walk rather than hop, and it takes them longer to get out of the way.  The last thing I want to do is step on one.  Since toads prefer a dry climate, I wonder if the increased numbers are an omen for a long hot summer.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yikes!! "The Long, Hot Summer" might have made a good title for Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, but I doubt if you want a remake that is cast in Fair Play. I'd share if I could - we are gray and unseasonably cool, even for June. Here's "wishin' n hopin'" that your current spell breaks soon in your toady neighborhood.