Saturday, June 9, 2012

Three's Company

Why is it that when working against a deadline, simple tasks take longer than usual?  As if knowing guests were due soon, the girls upped their milk production by a hundred or so squirts each; that's like adding one more goat and took that much more time.  It was one of the hard days when no buyer was on the horizon and the milk was going into the bucket for the pigs.  Not that I begrudge the pigs, but it does seem like a lot of work for nothing; definitely better than pouring milk down the drain.  Regardless of what the day holds, the goats must be milked and that's that.

Finished with chores at last, there was just enough time to sluice down and spiff up a bit before a delightful trio of ladies drove up, my friends Kit and Tinka and a new acquaintance, Earlene.  Rapid-fire chatter filled the air as I put the finishing touches to white chili and fresh cheese bread for lunch, with lemon custard for dessert.  Visits with Kit and Tinka are far between and there was a lot of catching up to do with them and also getting to know Earlene.  We later moved out to the deck to sit amongst the hummers and enjoy the mild weather before walking down to meet the goats and chickens.  Saying goodbye was easier because I'll see them again at Tinka's on Sunday.

I am not the only one who is heartbroken that I'll Have Another will not run in the race at Belmont.  He had a strong chance at winning racing's Triple Crown:  Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont.  He would have been only the twelfth horse to accomplish that, the last being in the '70s.  This magnificent animal is being retired.  Bookies everywhere are crying in their beer.

Drama closer to home continues.  So far, my neighbor has managed to duck and dodge being served the citation for letting her dogs run loose.  This is irritating Animal Control Guy and strengthening his resolve (and mine).  There are time limitations that if not met will require me to refile the complaint.  Not following through would be a waste of everyone's time and there would be no hope of resolution.  Short of strapping on a pistol, legal recourse is all that is left to me to protect my livestock.

To end on a couple of happy notes, after the early morning wake up, I was able to medicate Bess's ear and there was no more head shaking the rest of the day.  Apparently the foxtail was flushed out and did not require a trip to the vet.  Whew!  And today is my grandson's eighteenth birthday and he's alive to celebrate after his dumb stunt this week.  It's a good day.

No comments: