Friday, June 15, 2012

Off To Town

Just past the computer screen, I can see out the window and watch a beautifully antlered buck grazing in the first light of dawn.  He's about ten feet from the deck, and he occasionally lifts his head to look at me.  There are worse ways to start the day.

I'll be going into town today to buy an umbrella.  Dolly arrives tomorrow and I want to be prepared.  This may be the visit that breaks her tradition of bringing rain, as it is predicted to be up in the hundreds this weekend.  Actually, what I am going to buy is a small wading pool to put on the deck for Bessie and me.  Dolly can use it too, but we'll probably have to take turns.  Getting sluiced down is the best way I know to get a little relief in a heat wave.  Down in the barn, birds sit on the wires, beaks gaping and wings spread away from their bodies.  Ground squirrels lay flat in the dirt as they wait for me to put out their breakfast (nighttime treats for the goats).

Rain or shine, it will be good to see my friend.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Here's hoping your pool brings you some fun relief. As they say, "Splish Splash!" Hope you have fun with Dolly!