Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gimme A Drink!

 The struggle to keep things alive goes on.  One day, just one day without water left this comfrey plant and others gasping and on the brink of life.  The day before had been not quite so hot and I thought I could forgo the evening ritual.  I keep a dishpan of water by the chicken pen for Bess and the cats when they are outside, as well as for the wild things drifting through.  It is dry and empty every morning.

The restorative power of water is amazing, as is the will to live.  After a long drink of water and a couple of hours, this plant I shall name Lazarus rose again.  The mice jump and cavort after their milk in the morning. I'm not quite willing to haul water down to the barn for them, so they have to make do with what's at hand (yes, I meant to say that).

Sunset was pretty spectacular, but paled in comparison to the light show later last night.  An electrical storm blew through with strobe lights and thunder that would put a rock concert to shame.  Thankfully, there was just one blip in the power, but I had the oil lamps ready.  Bessie doesn't hide or cry during a storm, but she sticks to my side like a limpet if I move from room to room.  There was a good bit of rain that came with the storm, but the first thing I did this morning was scan the horizon for columns of wildfire smoke.  So far, so good.  I'll drink to that.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

You'll drink tho that and the thirsty deck plants will drink to that - maybe you have a respite this morning on your hose duty. Glad that the only plumes you will see are on your fine-feathered friends.

Kathryn said...

Ooops...You'll drink TO that!!