Sunday, July 28, 2013

Foodie Isn't A Bad Word

Mother was not a memorable cook.  Other than baking spices, I can recall that she had only chili powder and bay leaves in the cupboard, and used onion and garlic sparingly.  Married at 18, I couldn't boil water.  One of my new sisters-in-law, Dorothy, gave us a wonderful wedding gift.  She took me to the spice aisle in the grocery store.  As she pulled herbs and spices I'd never heard of from the shelves, she explained their taste and use.  Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian; the cart began to fill.  It was a great crash course in cookery.

Those were the days of "waste not, want not," and with all those little jars and bottles with exotic names and scents, I searched for ways to put them to use.  Jim, the Kids' dad, liked to eat, and would bring home recipes to try.  I made some real clinkers along the way, but slowly gained success.  My own sister was an accomplished cook and shared her expertise.  "What does it mean to 'knead the dough until silky?'"  My first attempt at baking bread involved many phone calls and must have driven her nuts.

One thing I never had time for was elegant presentation.  Four children in less than five years required that I cook a lot and get it on the table.  Over time I gained confidence and learned to love cooking.  With little money to spare, a good meal was one gift I could give my family.  As I was always trying something new, the Kids developed educated palates and a taste for eclectic foods.  While they might still call home for what they call "Dial-A-Chef," each has surpassed me as good cooks.  Deb could put Martha Stewart to shame with her attention to detail and Dave can cook Mexican food that would make Aaron Sanchez drool.  Pete sends me his recipes and Larry has cooked in fine restaurants.

Cooking for Steve was a challenge.  Garlic was okay, but onions were out.  Spicy, not s'much.  Fried meat, fried potatoes, and white gravy was gourmet dining.  His idea of a green vegetable was spinach noodles.  We both learned to accommodate to a degree.  As I said, a challenge.

Someone recently called me a foodie, and I guess I am.  Too hot to do much else lately, I've been watching and clearing programs I'd DVRd and realize that most of them are cooking shows, the ones from which I can learn something.  I still love to cook.  Mother would be so proud.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

This blog was so fun that I read it twice!