Saturday, July 6, 2013

I'm Glad

"Take what you get and be glad that you got it."  That's a well-used saying in our family.  Down in the valley, the stats dropped from 111 to 91; definitely not cool, but oh-so-much cooler and I'll take it and be oh-so-glad.  It's hard to think, let alone think about something specific, when overheated.  The delta breeze finally kicked in yesterday and I was able to put together a menu for today and get up to the store for ingredients.  My son Dave and his lady, Sandra, are coming up.  I would have cancelled the visit if we were still in that heat wave, even though I conscripted Dave (a carpenter) to see what can be done with my multitudinous door problems.  Sandra has not been here before so I went the extra mile and waved the dust rag around; first impressions, and all that.  It's funny; when you're a kid, you want your parents to like your friends.  Then you get to a certain age and don't want to embarrass your kids in front of their friends.

The mice now sit in the wipes bucket, lined up and waiting to be squirted in the morning.  Sandra has said she'd like to go down to the barn with me.  I hope they get here in time, and I hope she finds the mice as amusing as I do.  For me, it's like being in a real-life cartoon.

Tawny II and Lady Friend were in the orchard again last evening, just about the time I go out to refill the hummers' feeders.  They gave me a nod and went on munching plums, the seeds plopping from the side of their mouths as they chew.

Bessie went to her pool only once yesterday, and we both slept well last night; it was that cool.  I'm glad.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh I hope you had a wonderful day and that the Delta breeze was-a-waftin'-your way!!