Friday, July 19, 2013

Smooth Moves

Goats are pretty straightforward animals:  vocal with their wants, aggressive in their fighting, openly affectionate and playful.  Subtlety is reserved for the milking stand.  Good posture is important when milking, back straight, arms bent at the elbows, wrists neutral.  It's an ergonomic thing and lessens strain on muscles and joints.  My stand requires that I sit with legs outstretched.  It is advisable to aim the stream to the center of the bucket to avoid spray-back hitting the goats' feet; tickles like flies and they'll stamp (not good).  For the most part, the girls stand patiently for the six to ten or twelve minutes (depending on the udder) it takes to do the job, but they do get their jollies.  Squeezing away, getting a rhythm, thinking pleasant thoughts, I'm in the zone.  It is not until I'm listing over to right or left and in danger of falling off, or leaning back or so far forward I could be doing yoga, that I realize the goat has shifted her weight, seemingly without moving her feet, and I'm no longer in position.  Inga is especially good at this.  With apologies to the country-western song with a slightly different title, this is when I do the Butt-Scoot Boogie.  Bucket must follow goat, and so I dance to their tune.  I think it amuses the girls.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

And of course, we readers are amused too!