Sunday, July 21, 2013

Shot Down

It's a good thing I checked my horoscope first thing this morning.  It said, and I quote, "...avoid any chance you might have to bore others today."  Drat!  I had this really great entry planned, full of simile and alliteration, about the heat moving in like an uninvited, unwelcome, intrusive guest and staying way too long (Monty Woolley, "The Man Who Came To Dinner").  I had most of it written in my head while down in the barn, words and ideas flowing like the sweat pouring down my face.  Like my imaginary boring guest, I have dwelt on the subject of heat too much and too often.  So here I sit, shot down, madly searching through my mental files for something, anything, that might be of interest to anyone but myself.

Blogspot keeps track of how many "hits" my blog gets every day (30-60), and from which countries.  My imagination travels far and wide to the sixty-nine countries that have checked in so far.  My list is full of, to me, exotic, historic, romantic names:  Macedonia, Nepal, Gabon, Sudan, Kazakhstan.  I try to picture the readers in distant lands.  Are they farmers looking for similar experience?  Are they servicemen and women touching base with home?  Are they looking for a picture of America?  Are they city dwellers aching for a more peaceful lifestyle?  Are they young, old, male, female?  The statistics provided prod me to keep on writing, but they are dry and colorless.  "Real" authors must also have questions about their readers, the who and why of their followers.  Ah, well.  It is enough to know that some beyond my family and friends find my scribbles about Farview Farm entertaining.  It's more than I could ever have hoped for.

The sun is up and I need to get down to the barn before it gets too hot.  Sorry, it's boring but just a fact of life.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh how I wish that some of the other readers would take that extra step and post a comment. Talk about boring...same ol' commenter from boring ol' Southern California. Oh well, it is what it is, and I'm so grateful for the View From Farveiw Farm that I get to peek in upon each day. (And by the way, that first paragraph was anything but boring!)