Friday, July 5, 2013

Keeping Up Appearances

"Are You Being Served?," "Fawlty Towers," "Vicar of Dibley;" I love the vintage British sitcoms.  One of the best was/is "Keeping Up Appearances" with pretentious Hyacinth Bucket (which she pronounced Bouquet).  I added to my daily haute couture wardrobe, but only Hyacinth's blue-collar brother-in-law Onslow might approve of the homie bandana tied low on my forehead.  It was the only way to cope with perspiration while milking during the seven-day stretch of triple-digit temperatures.  Probably not my best look but it worked, and the goats kept their opinion to themselves.

Yesterday was the hottest of all and nothing but keeping all things watered got done.  Last night Bess and I performed a pas de deux as we each tried to find cooler spots on the sheets.  I lost track of the number of times Bessie went wading in her pool.  I wasn't the only one playing in the sprinkler; the turklets wandered through the wet plants under the spray and birds splashed in the birdbath in the herb garden.  I can't let water run for long at any one time for fear of running the well dry.  While soaking deck plants in early evening, I saw that Tawny II had brought a lady friend to enjoy a plum dessert.  Later when I went out to put the kids to bed, Lady Friend had sneaked back alone and found the smaller tree (just her size) in the new orchard and was helping herself to seconds.  "Are you being served?" I asked.  (Can't get away from those sitcoms.)

It might be fear of a general uprising, but the weather prognosticators are predicting a week of low nineties to come.  I'm for it! 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

When one is cheering for "low 90s" you KNOW it's been a scorcher. Let's hear it for low 80s...we can dream, can't we?