Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Still Got It

Truly, I haven't lost it by posting this picture.  The forecast is for days and days of triple-digit weather coming up and I just wanted something to remind me that this heat wave, too, shall pass.

My preoccupation with weather is because so much of what, when, and where work can be done is dependent on the weather.  The star thistle is growing up again and I can't do a thing about it.  When it is hot and dry, grass fires in the past have been started by tractors striking sparks.  I don't want to be the cause of destruction.  Just as I fill the oil lamps and stock the porch rack with firewood in the winter, I'm planning a list of indoor chores to work on when the temperature rises.  I spoke to the guy who bought one of the huge fallen tree trunks last year.  It's been sitting in my yard under an unbeautiful tarp and I suggested it might be time to move it out now.  Heavy equipment will be required, even if he chooses to have it milled here.  It took three years for the ruts to even out after the last time large trucks drove over the front yard in wet weather.

Speaking of fallen trees, yesterday afternoon I heard and felt a big thump on the deck.  My first thought was a tree or branch had dropped, so my relief was great when I found it was a hanging planter that had broken.  I can deal with that.

Things to do, places to go before I lose it in the heat.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I am such a weather wimp, having lived most of my life within 3 miles of the coast...I can't even imagine dealing with it day in and day out. Gunga Din comes to mind!!