Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Long, Long Day

I'm still here.  It was pretty iffy for most of yesterday as the Sand Fire continued to spread.  It went from 40 acres to more than 4,000 in what seemed like no time and was coming in our direction.  One of the most frustrating things throughout the day was our inability to get accurate, updated information.  The telephone and computer were our lifeline.  Calls were flying back and forth with good wishes, shared fears, offers of help, rumors, and facts.  Deb, even though I know she was afraid and upset, kept me anchored and on course as I went through the house, gathering what I might need if we had to evacuate.  I know without asking that Craig is her support person as well as mine.  I certainly didn't need a fire to remind me of who and what is important.  Deb was command central for all her brothers, feeding information and photos and letting them know that we were still okay.  Things got pretty tense when a notice was sent out that our area was under voluntary evacuation.  The truck was packed and ready to go (still is), but I decided to wait until it was mandatory.  Thankfully, that knock on the door didn't come in the night.

I'll get caught up in more detail tomorrow.  Tensions and emotions ran high yesterday and it was a long, long day.  Thanks to all for the support from everyone.  It helps.

Just got my laugh for the morning.  I have a pile by the door of last-minute stuff to take if necessary, including a bag with dog and cat treats.  Ralph and Celeste are lying together right by that bag.  If I'm going to take their treats, they're going too!

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Waiting early this morning to hear you are okay..thank you for posting, when you have so much on your mind..thinking of you...keep us all informed, if you can?

Kathryn said...

Whew, whew, whew!!!

Unknown said...

I just posted this to FB but Amy Buck posted to Twitter a few minutes that she lives in Fiddletown and will take horses. I think you have a couple of near horses nearby that are dear to you. You might check and see if they want to go on a sleep over. Fingers crossed that this fire is more contained today. CDF reports an AMAZING amount of resources even if they don't report regularly. Fingers crossed.