Saturday, July 5, 2014

Independence Day

Long may it wave.  I didn't take a photo "by dawn's early light" as there wasn't a puff of air moving when I ran the flag up the pole yesterday.  By afternoon there was a pretty stiff breeze and gave me the opportunity for this shot on the Fourth of July, 2014.

The day began with defeat.  I showed the white flag, I surrendered, I gave up and gave in.  Squint wore me down and I quit the fight.  He'd come in for the mice's breakfast, I'd squirt him, he'd give me the stink-eye (also known as the hairy eyeball) and, dripping with milk, he'd go on eating.  The mice were getting shortchanged on grain and there is a new class of kindergartners looking for food.  Discretion being the better part of valor in this case, I put down a small handful by Squint's "door" (the entrance he'd dug for himself into the milking room) in hopes we could all have a peaceful morning.  What's one more mouth to feed amongst so many?

This is what a player looks like when he's played out.  Ralph had been up to his morning zanies.  Don't ask me what he was up to in the empty bathtub.  I really don't know, but he made a lot of noise.  Cats really know how to r-e-l-a-x.

A couple of days ago, I did get the wings clipped on the two remaining pullets.  Last night it was time for the big transfer.  Additions to the flock have a much better chance for acceptance if they're put in after dark and the established chickens have gone to sleep.  Evidently chickens do not count beaks at evening roll call and are not surprised at new faces in the morning.  Even with my wonderful lighted hat, it was no easy task to get into the dog run, open the nighttime coop, and take one pullet at a time over to the "big house."  This ploy has worked in the past and I have great hopes for these little girls.  I know the roosters will be happy to see some fresh hotties.

No comments: