Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hum For Happy

We always knew when Jackie was eating something she really liked.  She hummed a happy little tuneless hum.  (Jackie was a woman I worked with years back.)  Esther likes to have, in fact, demands to have her head rubbed before eating her breakfast.  It's her way of starting the day happy.  Esther hums while getting her massage; yes, goats do hum.

They say that herding cats is difficult.  It's also hard to walk when being herded by a cat.  Celeste has developed a new method for getting treats.  If I'm up and moving but ignore (or miss) her nearly inaudible, "Shhh, let's you and me go get me a goody," she will walk directly in front of my feet until I'm turned in the right direction and headed toward the kitchen.  When she's sure I've got the message, she'll run ahead to the counter and stare pointedly at the little bag of treats.  I count out three, four on a good day, and she of the quiet voice begins to purr loudly.  Celeste can hum too.

The days are getting shorter.  Fifteen minutes of daylight have been shaved off each end.  It's actually chilly this morning and a heavy mist is drifting down the hills.  I'm humming!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I BET you are humming - with some cooler air. And how funny about Celeste...sounds like she's a master mime artist.