Monday, July 7, 2014

Yum Yum

The thing to do when it gets triple-digit hot is stand in the kitchen and make dozens of gyoza, garlicky Japanese pork dumplings, so that's what I did.  I had to go to the feed store anyhow and went on up the road to the grocery store for gyoza ingredients.  I figured the 75-pound bags of feed were safe in the back of the pickup or, at least, if someone were to steal them they'd be noticed.  The dumplings freeze well, but even so the recipe makes a lot, enough to share.  Camille was up for an impromptu meal that included roasted Brussels sprouts and joined me.  It's been years since I've made gyoza and they were every bit as good as I'd remembered.  Yum.

I'm about ready to change Squint's name to Cleopatra since a milk bath is now part of his morning routine.  Even though I put down his separate serving, he still came for a bite of the mice's breakfast and got a squirt in the eye for trying.

The pullets continue to cluster together but they all ran into the coop at dusk with the big kids, for which I was so grateful.  When the temperature soars, the air becomes heavy, so heavy you can feel it pressing on your skin.  It's difficult to breathe and chasing chickens was the last thing I wanted to do.

It's supposed to be hotter today.  Wondering what I should make for dinner tonight.

No comments: