Thursday, July 31, 2014

Return To Downton

The thermometer read 100 degrees when I got back to the house from the barn.  It stayed pegged there throughout the day.  One of the last things left in my "bug-out" bag was the set of DVDs of "Downton Abbey" that I'd borrowed from Deb and Craig.  (I packed only the really important stuff!)  Knowing not much would get accomplished in the heat, I settled in and got ready for another marathon at/of Downton.  Between episodes, Bessie Anne and I went out to the deck for a cool-down.  The plants were gasping, I was sweating, Bess was panting.  The water in her pool was too hot for her so in between giving the plants a drink, I filled the pool with cold water.  She immediately stepped in of her own accord and waded around.  I turned the spray up over my head and reveled in a cool shower - several times.  Back in the house, I'd no more sat down to join my friends at the Abbey than the power went out.  Aaargh.  I'd been so diligent about keeping my cell phone charged during the fire; wouldn't you know I'd let the battery get down to one bar?  I found out today that a transformer had blown over on Sand Ridge.  A friend of mine had seen it blow and her husband and a few neighbors almost had the resulting fire put out before the fire department got there.  Whew.  Here, after an hour with no fans and no TV, the power came back.  Another bullet dodged.

I have more to say about Downton Abbey, but that's another story for another day.  I need to get down to the barn.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh you are making me perspire just reading of your triple digits. May you have some relief and lots of uninterrupted power today!