Thursday, July 10, 2014

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


Farview Farm on a hot day is very still and quiet.  Bessie Anne staked out her favorite spot on her loveseat.  She becomes a little anxious if a guest chooses to sit on this couch and doesn't leave room for her.  She'll pace in front of them, finally sitting at their feet; she's not being friendly as much as territorial (but don't tell anyone).  Bess moves from her sofa to the tiles in the entryway and then to the hearthstones behind the wood stove, anywhere it might be cooler.

Having worked hard at clearing his space and tired from harassing the hummers, Ralph stretched out for a snooze where he could catch any passing breeze.

If the philodenron in the background looks a little ratty, it's because I took it out on the deck for a shower from the hose on one of those days when I was in a cleaning frenzy.  My mistake was leaving it out there to dry and the intense sun burned the leaves to a crisp.  Note that the lace curtain has no tie-back.  Thanks, Ralph.

Celeste chose a more conventional place to nap, although she has an unconventional pose.  Not as rambunctious as Ralph, Celeste has a personality all her own.  In the kitchen, she will barely brush against my leg.  When I look down, she silently mouths the word "meow."  I know what she wants, and it is our secret.  Over on the counter where the cat dish is, I will lay out three of her special treats.  I don't know why it has to be a secret because Ralph has no interest in treats, but I go along and whisper too.  Ralph is a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy.

Me?  I spent the day back at Downton Abbey.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So sorry for your heat...but fun pictures and explanations!