Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Almost All Clear

I have posted photos of some spectacular sunsets in the past.  Not that this one isn't pretty, but it has special significance because, for the first time since last Friday, there is NO smoke on the horizon.  The relief is tremendous, equal to the tension we've been under the last few days.  I can't say enough good things about the valiant firefighters who have worked in triple-digit weather to knock the fire down to about 75% now.  They are heroes.

I put the girls into the barn and the chickens slept with shut doors last night.  My thinking had been to leave them an escape route if the fire came.  Taking a chance with nighttime wild things seemed the better choice than being locked in.  The chickens didn't seem to have an opinion, but the goats and Poppy did not like the disruption of their routine and complained loudly morning and evening.  Worried, they clumped together during the day, not spreading out to graze as they normally would.  There is something to be said for leaving the girls outside:  no need to clean stalls.

Dog and cat food was in the truck, ready for a quick getaway.  I brought the bags back into the house last night.  The fire is not out yet, but the immediate danger seems past and I think we can start the return to normal.  Deciding to travel light, I don't have a lot to put back.

I am blessed with so much love from my dear family and friends.  Calls and notes from caring people near and far fill my heart and I am grateful for each and every one.  My daughter posted today on FaceBook, attributing me with strength I certainly don't feel.  I've been scared silly.  Any strength I might have had is due to my children and loved ones.  Thank you, one and all.

It's a good day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No more excitement please. Time to return to the dog days of summer where you struggle for something to report because it was too hot and still to move much the day before.

Kathryn said...

What a relief!