Monday, July 21, 2014

Mrs. Lot

Were it not for the hose to sluice off in the morning I would bear a striking resemblance to Lot's wife, a pillar of salt, after sweating like a horse down in the barn.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was very late getting to the girls yesterday and we all paid the penalty.  I will try not to do that again.

It was the day of my friend Tim's second, for lack of a better term, farmers' market.  The plan is to do this monthly.  I think Tim thinks of it more as a social event, a good excuse for a potluck lunch (they provided barbecued linguica and Portuguese beans - yum!).  There were new faces in the group and more guests than last month.  This is strictly word-of-mouth and no advertising.  The young vet's wife made a wonderful sourdough bread to sell.  Camille sold all her eggs and is contemplating buying more chickens, and all my cheese went in a hurry.  That made a week in the kitchen worth the time.  A thick cloud cover rolled over, protecting us from the beating sun.  A few moments of spitting rain only increased the humidity, however.  We were hoping for more rain that might have done us some good.

The lowered sky made for a spectacular sunset, so lovely that I went back in the house for the camera on the way to the barn.  Even though I was early by the clock, the girls were sure night was falling and they were eager to go to bed.

 We've got the nighttime routine down pat.  In the few minutes it took to tuck the kids in, the sky had changed dramatically.  This was taken on the path in the goat pen.  It struck me that there are so many moments in life that are fleeting.  They should be cherished when they come.

It was a good day, salty with sweat or not.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yep, life should be cherished indeed. And although the first picture is beyond spectacular, the second one is special because of the moon. Thank you (and glad that you sold out quickly and that there were more attendees.)