Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hen's Revenge

My intention yesterday was to clip the wings on the three remaining pullets when I let them out of their little coop in the morning while it was still cool (cool being a relative term these days).  Having learned from past mistakes, I clip the feathers on just one wing.  That throws the bird off balance so it can't fly.  They can still get lift if both wings are equal.  With that in mind, I clip the same wing on all birds so there's no guessing who's done and who's not.  Creeping into the dog run, I opened the door to the coop and grabbed the first hen out.  She voiced her displeasure but tolerated the procedure (it's very quick and painless, like getting a haircut).  But then, just as I was going to release her, she bit into my tender inner forearm and hung on.  Ow!!  I had to give her a tunk on the head to make her let go.  Nursing my bruised arm, I gave up on The Plan for the day.  Four down, two to go.

I really didn't think about it when I decided to make Margarita Chicken (tequila and lime sauce) over a bed of couscous and veggies last night.  In retrospect, revenge doesn't have to be sweet, but it can be tasty!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh...BEYOND clever blog today. But isn't that kind of "revenge-on-the-pay-it-forward" concept? :-)