Thursday, March 12, 2015

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Once in awhile the stars align and everything turns out as hoped for.  Yesterday while down in the barn, dealing with unhappy goats and listening to the rain, memories came flooding in, one in particular.  My dad said his wish was to wake up to rain on the roof, a yellow rose on his pillow, and hot biscuits and gravy waiting on the table.  Years ago, it so happened that he was visiting me.  While I had no control over the rain, it did come down that morning, the rose garden was in bloom, and I had breakfast ready before he got out of bed.  The smile on his face that day was unforgettable.

More than twenty-five years ago, I used to have lunch at a patisserie in Sacramento.  When I get hooked on something good, I stick with it, and always ordered sliced turkey and avocado on a croissant.  Haven't had one since.  Yesterday, in a totally indulgent mood and because it's been on my mind of late (and had to go to town anyhow), I bought all the fixings for that sandwich.  I could hardly wait to get home.  Mmmm, it was exactly as I remembered and I was one happy lady.

Already over the edge, I also purchased a hunk of liverwurst.  I don't buy it often because good liverwurst is hard to find.  There are those who would either turn up or hold their nose, but liverwurst was a staple when I was growing up.  I love it cold in a sandwich with a slice of pickle, but even more when it's fried in butter to get a nice brown, crisp edge, served hot with plain bread and butter, real butter.  Three slices of liverwurst is exactly right for one piece of bread; sends me to nirvana.  I can't wait for dinner tonight.

And for tomorrow, there is a butternut squash to roast.  I tell myself every time that this time I will make butternut squash ravioli or risotto, and every single time I end up eating that caramelized treat as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Wiping the mayo off my chin, the rain over, I walked out to put the kids to bed.  It had been a tremendously satisfying day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I'll take a turkey and avocado on a croissant, please...and hold the liverwurst!