Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Fine Feathered Friend

A slight dip in temperature made the trip to town almost tolerable.  I've decided that humidity is worse than straight heat.

Sitting on the deck with Bess later in the afternoon and watching vultures make lazy circles above, it wasn't hard to tell which of the birds had been losing those feathers I've been finding.  It's surprising that this raggedy-winged fellow was still aerodynamically capable.  That fifteen-inch feather on the table gives a pretty good indication of the bird's size.

Camille knows a Tractor Guy who might, just might, be willing to smooth out my driveway which is the next best thing to impassable what with the deep ruts and high center crown.  I've been rat-holing funds for such an opportunity.  She told me she'd explained to Tractor Guy that she knows this "elderly woman" in desperate need.  It took me a minute to realize she meant me!  It's hard to "see ourselves as others see us" (Robert Burns).  Hey, I'll smooth my ruffled feathers and take help when it comes.

3 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

"Elderly" is in the eye of the beholder. When I was about 17 I was with my boyfriend and his younger brother, who was about 12. We were on the beach and the younger brother said something about an "elderly" person. Even at my tender age I knew something was askew, and so I asked him what "elderly" meant to him, and after he thought about it he said, "About age 34!" LOL!

Unknown said...

Yesterday I was at a small, private music festival and the woman at Quinoa King who took my dinner order apologized for not knowing my name. Huh? Oh - you look so authoritative was the answer.

Well there's that but I was/am also old, clean (I didn't camp the night before) and color coordinated. I just smiled and took it as a compliment. The Quinoa chicken and vegetable stir fry was delicious.

Kathryn Williams said...

LOL...old, clean, and color coordinated = authoritative! I guess she meant that you were someone in charge and therefore she should have known your nam?? Good one, Linda!! Here's to being old, clean, and color coordinated!