Saturday, August 29, 2015

Oh Say Can You See?

Can you see what I see?  Stepping out onto the deck yesterday afternoon, I saw this coyote standing quite still, not too far down the hill from the pen, downwind and just sniffing the breeze as if it was reading the menu.  "Hmm, chicken dinner sounds good to me."  The secret to seeing wildlife is to know the terrain and know when something is not quite right, something different, anything that was not there before.  And, of course, anything that is moving.  Hint:  coyote is in the middle of the photo, just past the edge of the of the shadow and under the last branch of the tree.
And if you thought I was "seeing things," this is coyote headed out after I stomped and yelled.

This morning, just at first light, I heard a strange chuckling sort of sound, similar to one of the calls made by turkeys, but a little different.  Going to the open bedroom door and looking out, there was either another or the same coyote standing in the side yard by the Cecile Brunner rose.  Stepping out onto the deck in bare feet, I wasn't about to stomp, but clapped my hands like gunshots and coyote took off racing down the driveway.  Let's not make a habit of this!

"I see the moon.  The moon sees me..."

And that's the view from Farview Farm.

2 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

Such great "views" from Farview Farm...visual AND mental! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Good eye!