Monday, August 3, 2015

My Hero!

Forget the white horses and shining armor.  The knights up here wear bluejeans and ride John Deere tractors and this hero showed up at my door yesterday.  "Mouse," aka Steve, had come to help "the elderly woman."  (That still cracks me up.)  His two very well-trained dogs were riding in the cab, an Australian shepherd and a small, scruffy mixed-breed named Tank.  They were allowed to come down to meet Bessie, who thought those boys were very handsome.  Mouse and I discussed terms and time frames.  The price was right and he was ready to do the work right then, and who was I to stand in his way? The dogs loaded up and off they went on that monster tractor.

The driveway had become a road hazard with cuts deep enough to lose small children and large dogs.  The crown prevented cars from driving up and the ditches could have snapped an axle.  It took Mouse maybe forty minutes to smooth the drive and put a run-off ditch along the side.  Talk about having the right tool for the job!

It cost me a mere pittance (kind man), two beers, and milk bones and water for the dogs.  After Tractor Guy trundled off, Bess and I got in the truck and drove down and back up the driveway, and then we turned around and did it again just because we could!

I recognize a hero when I see one.

It was a good day!

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Nothing like a good road to lead you home.
All set for El Niño now..we are ready for a drop of rain here too.

Unknown said...

OMG! It looks GREAT!

Kathryn Williams said...

What a gorgeous road...and a gorgeous human being. And hey, other people give "senior discounts," so Big Tractor Guy, Hip, Hip Hooray!