Saturday, August 22, 2015

Boys And Their Toys

I'm very glad that Ralph's new favorite toy is a readily visible bright white, as he leaves it all over the house, just waiting to trip me up.  It is a leftover hank of clothesline that Ralph found on top of the washing machine (my fault).  Toy is becoming frayed, but Ralph doesn't care.  Celeste pawed at it once or twice and Bess has nosed it, but the girls cannot figure out its appeal.  It's a guy thing.

Licorice mint has spread to every pot on the deck.  It is pretty and tastes good, so I leave it.  Bees and birds love it.  Bees go after the pollen and hummers suck up the nectar.  As the purple flowers begin to die, dinky birds land on the long fronds to peck out the seeds.  The mint leaves are the first to droop, telling me when I need to water.  It is a multi-use plant.

At the bottom of this photo in the middle is one of Steve's toys, a Ford tractor from 1958-59, and its many implements.  It breaks my heart that it sits unused.  In my mind's eye, I can see him happily tootling around the fields of an afternoon, and I would take him a cold drink, as my mother had told of carrying water to the farmhands when she was a girl.  I never learned to drive the tractor; it was a guy thing.  And so it sits.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Tinka's late husband had a tractor in Apple Valley that apparently was too difficult to get to the Gold Country (probably to expensive to transport) and it ended up being given to Cal Poly and it was refurbished and made an appearance in a recent year's Rose Parade. How cool is THAT??? She can tell you more about it than I can.