Monday, August 10, 2015

No Close-Ups

I won't be posting any photos of Linda.  Poor woman has the most spectacular black eye, the result of a loose fence brick and a clumsy cat.  I won't be posting any photos of Luna either, at least not until I get a good look at her.  I got a glimpse of furry tail as she was carried into the house and then she disappeared.  There were brief sightings in the shadows of the hallway late in the afternoon and a quick peek at bedtime, but that's it.  Bessie has evidently taken offense at this elusive behavior.  "Fine.  If that's the way you want to be, you'd just better stay hidden."  (She has barked at Luna and driven her back to her safe haven under the bed.)  Ralph and Celeste have not said how they feel about this feline company.

Camille called with the offer of squash blossoms from her garden.  Linda had never eaten them before, so Cam brought a dozen and I battered them up to saute and we all snacked on them before taking drinks out to the deck to hopefully catch a breeze.  While we sat talking of "shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings," I caught sight of what I at first thought was a mountain lion down by the edge of my woods.  Getting a better look, it turned out to be a very large bobcat, only the second I've seen in 18 years.  I quickly slipped a leash on Bess so she didn't rush off to do battle with that kitty who could have done her real harm.  The cat was too far away to get a good picture, so no close-up there, either.

After a 19-hour, straight-through drive from Washington, it was early to bed for my friend, and we called it a good day.

2 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

19 hours straight...is she nuts?? LOL And shades of Ralph and Celeste when they first came. They must have emailed Luna and sent her the "new kitty rules for adaptation!!" I hope that the breezes continue and the the black eye becomes...well, green, and yellow and flesh colored once again!

Unknown said...

I took a couple of cat naps along the Kit. I'm not TOTALLY crazy! :-)