Friday, August 28, 2015

Did I Mention...

Did I mention that fall has arrived?  As if proof were needed, leaves are once again covering the deck.  They crunch underfoot and Bessie looks like a cupcake covered in sprinkles whenever she goes outside (I'm glad I gave her a haircut!).  A generous girl, she brings some in the house to share.  Thank you, Bess.
I am left with the choice of trying to keep ahead of the game and sweep the deck daily or letting leaves pile up and feeling that huge sense of accomplishment once a month or so.  It's a long deck.  If this heat wave continues, it's a no-brainer.  This is just a preview of what is to come.

Temperatures soared again yesterday.  Ralph couldn't stretch out any farther if he tried.  Would that I were so limber.  How do cats get in these ridiculous positions anyhow?

Did I mention I like old movies?  I DVR a backlog of treasures for watching on just such a day as yesterday when it is too hot to do much of anything else.  "The Painted Veil" was originally made in 1934 with Greta Garbo, Herbert Marshall, and George Brent, all wonderful in their parts, but in my opinion the 2006 remake with Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, and Liev Schreiber was better.  The original "Waterloo Bridge" (Mae Clark and Kent Douglass, 1931) had a much grittier story line, but the acting was overly dramatic by today's standards.  The remake in 1940 with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor was more "romantic."

Did I mention how much I love going to town?  Yeah, well, I've got to go in today.  Oh goody.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Doesn't seem fair that you get the fall leaves and still the summer heat wave! We are having Ohio summer weather, complete with humidity, in San Diego. So weird!