Saturday, August 8, 2015

A Penny Saved

I carry very little change in my wallet.  Coins received after a purchase usually go into a pocket as do coins found on the ground (I'm not too proud to pick up a penny), one good reason for wearing bibbies with lots of pockets.  Sometimes, of course, they remain hidden and end up in the washing machine to be found later.  Steve was in charge of emptying his own britches before putting them in the hamper because I told him any money found in the washer became property of the washerwoman.  I keep a piggy bank in the laundry room for just such treasure.  In fact, there are piggy banks and jars throughout the house.  The point of this being that in the cleanup yesterday, I unearthed a trove of coins of all denominations.  I found them in boxes, in drawers, under dresser scarves, in every imaginable and unimaginable place.  I discovered a number of Susan B. Anthony dollars.  What a mistake the Treasury made with those.  Nearly the same size as a quarter, but with a barely discernible different shape, I'm sure many were spent in error and wasted on a twenty-five-cent item.  Someday, maybe in the winter when it's cold and wet outside, I'll sit in front of the fire and sort and roll coins to take to the bank.  I'll probably need a forklift and a two-ton truck to haul them into town.

This is not a pretty sunset.  In fact, it's pretty darn sad.  The smoke in the valley still hangs in a thick layer.  The hardworking firefighters are getting a grip on containment, but fires continue to burn throughout the state.  The breezes that have made the last few days bearable for us have made it harder for those on the line.

I'm coming down to the wire and I'm almost ready for Linda's arrival tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Wow, congrats on being "almost ready!" My company delayed from a late-night arrival until a "this morning" arrival (at my suggestion to avoid wicked traffic), and methinks I had now better get going.