Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Triple-Digit Doldrums

The deltas dropped, the mercury rose, and life as we know it came to a screeching halt.  I don't think sweating qualifies as an activity, but that was about the only thing I did all day.  One hundred two in the shade and still rising and nothing else moved.  The goats lay in the shade of the barn, the chickens clustered in their coop.  Not a turkey nor a deer in sight.  Even the squirrels went underground.  Had I been so inclined, it would have been hard to work with fingers crossed, hoping against hope that we would keep power.  At least the ceiling fan kept the hot air moving.  Late in the afternoon Bess and I went to the feed store.  For the first time I wished it was a little longer trip; the truck is air-conditioned and Bessie was able to stop panting as she had been all day.  I drove very slow on the way home so we could enjoy the ride as long as possible.  Trying to maintain that feeling, I put Bessie Anne in her pool and I watered the gasping deck plants, putting the hose on mist periodically and standing under it until soaked myself.  Long afternoon shadows brought out the turkeys, poor things walking slowly with beaks agape.  It may be wishful thinking, but I want desperately to believe the weather reporters who tell me that the heat is due to break today.  Or not.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Fingers crossed. You weather on my phone looks like a steady decline. It even said 75 degrees for a week from Thursday!