Sunday, September 24, 2017

Always Some Good

With cooler weather, the level in the wild things' water pot doesn't drop as fast, but I still check every morning to make sure there isn't a floater in there; hasn't been one for quite awhile now.  (That isn't on everyone's chore list, I'm sure.)

After finishing in the barn yesterday I went down to Cam's to take her up on the offer of more grapes and some tomatoes for Pete, and to pick up the smoked salmon she'd gotten for me at the big box store.  (Love these personal shoppers.  I put in an order and voila!)  I'd no more gotten home when she called to tell me I'd forgotten my half of the fifty pounds of pears she'd bought at Boa Vista Orchard up at Apple Hill.  Cam was going out on errands and brought them by.  I am now the proud possessor of twenty-five pounds of pears that I'm going to have to do something with.  I'm thinking pear tarts, pear bread, and, of course, pear butter.  I used to make pear strudel, but it doesn't freeze well.  I'd planned to share some pears with Pete, too.

My modus operandi when company is coming is to take on the most obvious need first; in my case always is the kitchen.  Still not here?  I move on down the list.  Still no sign?  I keep on going.  Thus my day went (with a few breaks outside to enjoy the mild weather) until Pete called about 2 to say something had come up and he couldn't make it.  These things happen, but with my list whittled down, some good came out of it.

That smoked salmon that I'd planned to share had been calling to me all day.  That and Gorgonzola crackers made an oh-so-good dinner...with grapes for dessert.

I got a preview last night of what winter will be like when I turned over in bed and almost fell out.  The cats had pushed me over to the very edge.  Again.

It's back to paperwork and the computer today.  The only good thing I can think of with that is that it will be done.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sorry for Pete's unavailability, but congrats on whittling that list. Oh, and I have been seeing pear muffins on FB...maybe add that to your list, although I imagine they are just smaller versions of the bread! Enjoy your day!!