Friday, September 15, 2017

Grey Day...Yay!

After what seemed like interminable days of heat, a misty morning was a most welcome sight.  (Remind me of this when I'm wondering if we'll ever see the sun again this winter.)  It was a pleasure to put on a work shirt over a tank top even before going to the barn, it was that cool.  The girls were feeling pretty frisky, too.  Ironically, after giving that good advice yesterday, when I brought Sheila around, she dropped a load of raisinettes on the stand.  She must have peed in her stall and I didn't get the warning.  There were four frantic mousies in the grain barrel.  Back in the day, there were small hand-held games with a number of BBs to try to put in little holes.  Trying to capture those mice with a yogurt cup as they raced around was a lot like that game.  I eventually caught three to toss out and the fourth tried to burrow in and hide.  That one I picked up by the tail.  I don't have to leave home to find amusement.

Beau, the local vegetable pusher, came by and talked me into another basket of tomatoes (I see more marinara coming) and a big butternut squash.  As I told him, I love butternut squash and have in the past made squash risotto, or at least thought about it at times.  The problem is that when the caramelized squash comes out of the oven, I eat it before getting around to starting the rice.  How very nice it is to have a generous neighbor with a garden.

The sun did break through, but the breeze continued throughout the day, and that shirt felt good again at sundown.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh YES....cooler weather for you! Yay!