Sunday, September 10, 2017

For Pete's Sake

My phone rang just as I was putting Tessie up on the stand.  It was my son Pete.  "If your social calendar isn't full, I thought I might come up today."  For Pete's sake, or any other Kid, I would clear all entries on the calendar.  I did a quick mental inventory of freezers and cupboards and decided on baked pork chops.  Pete asked what he could bring.  "Anything green that you might like."  Pete, like Steve, has an aversion to green vegetables.  Steve thought I was out to do him in if I put peas or even innocuous green beans on the table.  Once I insisted that he pick something green for dinner.  "Okay, spinach noodles."  Pete suggested asparagus.  "You'd eat asparagus?!"  "Well, maybe one or two spears, but I know you like it."  No way would I turn down an offer like that.

Finishing up in the barn, I needed to spiff up the house.  I had dusted just the week before when Clay came up (I forgot to mention and give credit that Clay actually noticed that effort), but don't you know it was needed again; most thankless job there is.

Pete arrived with a loaded goody bag.  Not only was there asparagus, there were blueberries, black plums, white nectarines, bananas, and pistachios; a treasure trove of fresh and crunchy!  Because of my infrequent shopping trips, fresh produce is a real treat.  Hoping to please, I decided to grill the asparagus to keep it crisp and then drizzle with a little of the black truffle oil of which Pete is so fond.  Guess what?  It worked, and he ate every piece on his plate!

We spent the afternoon talking and it was a lovely visit.  After he'd gone, it was a Saturday NASCAR race and I took the obligatory NASCAR nap and, of course, missed the finish.  It should come as no surprise that I had a banana, a nectarine, and a plum for dinner.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh it just WARMS my heart when you get to tell us that one of your Kids visits. And I don't want to sound mercenary, but it has been SUCH a good thing that Pete moved up. You seem to get to see him frequently, and ahoy matey, but he does bring a pirate's treasure chest with him frequently...Aarrgghhh (with a smile!)