Thursday, September 7, 2017

Getting Better

Far from cool, the temperatures did drop enough to notice yesterday; however, the humidity continued.  Being covered in a sheen of sweat is not my idea of fun, but as my neighbor says, "What're ya gonna do?"  It was a day to take care of piddly household chores and do a lot of watering.  Between the heat and then the loss of water, the poor plants had been sorely neglected.  I don't know if plants accept apologies, but I made a lot of them as I made my way along the deck.

September already.  Even though this summer seems to stretch on forever, we're in September and the year is slipping by.  The stores are putting out Halloween candy and decorations and the pumpkin patches down in the valley are advertising already.  (When did Hallowe'en lose its apostrophe, I wonder?)  There is a difference of opinion as to why the oaks are losing so many leaves now:  it could be because of the stress of the excessive heat or perhaps it is a premature fall.  I know for sure that I've got to blow the leaves off the deck soon if I have any hope of not being buried beyond hope.  Walking outside sounds like stepping on potato chips.

I wish there was a switch or button to turn off the goats' heat cycles when they're too old to breed.  In frustration, they get so cranky with each other.  Sheila gave poor Inga such a bash last night that it hurt me just to hear.  It's like PMS on steroids.  The one good thing is that it doesn't last too long.

I'm looking forward to the drop in temperature and the delta breeze that are promised for today.  Maybe I'll get something more than cleaning the litter box accomplished.  Or not.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Here's hoping that you get those drops in temps and the Delta Breezes!! I can't even imagine living in that heat with very little relief. I, for one, just totally wilt (and sweat and shine) in the humidity!