Friday, September 1, 2017

Something Different

We must have been the first delivery of the day for Patrick.  He'd come and gone by the time I was ready to go to work.  It's always nice to see the cupboard stocked with supplies and know the girls won't go hungry.

Either the rats have been taking swimming lessons or perhaps they've put a lifeguard on duty because I haven't found another floater for some time (just as well).

Squadrons of dragonflies hovered over the goat pen like tiny drones.  Among the many pesky bugs there are, dragonflies seem a friendly kind of insect.

I generally use two wipes each to clean the girls' udder before milking.  While wiping with one, I keep the other wadded up in my other hand; in winter this is to try to warm it up so as not to shock the girl, and in summer it's to keep it from drying out before it's used.  It pays to work fast.

Sitting out on the deck during my after-milking break, I was watching the wildlife under the oak.  Several large tom turkeys were having a late breakfast when I noticed they weren't just scratching for feed.  Stump, Rhonda and Raymond were also at the buffet and the turkeys were kicking them out of the way!  That's not a sight one sees every day.

Just for something different to do, I met Camille at the Senior Center just down the road for lunch.  One, salmon was on the menu and (2) the hall was air conditioned.  Camille goes quite often, and we sat with four gentlemen who were obviously regulars, two of whom barely spoke and two who were more than happy to have a new audience for their comedy routine.  I laughed all  the way through the meal (which was very good).

Cam went off to do errands, but came by afterwards.  We took our regulation places on the deck, hoping for a breeze that never came.  Stump was on sentinel duty, sitting upright like a statue.  Rhonda and Raymond must have been napping, and Stump had a watchful eye for predators.

It was a good day.

No comments: