Friday, September 29, 2017

Tree For Two

Turk has started bringing a friend for breakfast under the oak.  Turk evidently gave me a good rating, as Raggedy Ann (maybe it's Raggedy Andy) also comes running when I call, shows no fear, and starts to chow down as soon as I throw the seed.  Gender is arbitrary when it comes to squirrels and I assign as it suits me.  Raggedy Ann is so named because of an ear that has been shredded at the tip; she evidently got into it with another.  I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like.

True to form, I put off the pears again.  I didn't feel quite so bad when Camille told me she hadn't done anything yet with her twenty-five pounds, either.  We procrastinators have to stick together.  Today is definitely going to be the day (she said with a show of bravado).  There's only me here, and why I got so many pears is anyone's guess.  I don't seem to be able to do things by halves.  I once made thirteen apple pies in a day, and the last time I made fruitcake I made sixty pounds' worth.  (Don't tell the Kids, but they may be getting pear cake for Christmas.)

Drying up a goat is a slow process.  I'm milking less and less each day from Tess, just enough to relieve the tension, as a weaning kid would do.  Pretty soon her hormones will tell her milk production isn't needed any more.  It isn't good to quit cold turkey as it leaves the doe vulnerable to mastitis.

Beau stopped by yesterday.  He's been doing some remodeling on his house and took a break and came cruising around on his quad.  I enjoy his visits and it gave me another excuse not to work on the pears.

It was another warm day, but there was a good breeze to keep it comfortable.  Weather Guy says it's going to cool off by tomorrow and stay cool for at least the next week.  After this summer, that's welcome news.

No comments: