Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Saved!

What a relief it was to see Go-To's truck drive up shortly after I'd come back from the barn yesterday.  I had to almost physically turn off the whirling thoughts in my head the night before, thinking of all the possible high-dollar things that could have caused the loss of water; that way lies madness.  It took Go-To just a few minutes to assess the problem.  The dadratted, fershluggen ground squirrels had chewed through the wires from the pump to the tank.  He was surprised there weren't electrocuted bodies lying about (and I almost wished there were).  Go-To said it would be an "easy fix," so Mrs. GT and I went in the house to chat and let the man go about his work.

We'd been promised a few degrees cooler, but I couldn't tell any difference and the exposed wires were in direct sun.  Poor GT.  It took him close to an hour to repair and then enclose the wires in a metal conduit (take that, you blasted squirrels!).  The small furry beasts had chewed and enlarged the hole in the wall and had been wreaking havoc in the shed.  I'd swept out a ton of acorns (again) and picked up a bagful of insulation before GT got there.  He molded and stuffed chicken wire into and around the hole to stop the little buggers from getting in again.  After we'd concluded our business and I was walking them out to the truck, there was a loud yell from where he'd been working.  You didn't have to know the language to know that those were cuss words from one irate squirrel who had been denied access.  Hahaha!

Yes, 100 is less than 104, but it was still 90 in the house, another day to sit and read and I finished another book.  In addition to the heat, smoke from fires all over California made a thick haze in the sky, hard to see the hills to the south and hard to breathe.  Another reason to do nothing and I'm getting really good at that.

It was grand to turn a tap and have gushing water and be able to flush the toilet!  Go-To saved the day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh yay, I'm so glad that your water was an easy fix. I had rats chew through wires to my A/C in 2015 and I was shocked to know that was the problem! Sheesh to the rodents.