Saturday, June 29, 2019

Haute Couture

I remember the look on my roommate's face at boarding school when I'd go into the walk-in closet in the morning and muse, "Hmmm.  What shall I wear today?"  She'd say, "You have to wear your uniform every day."  (She was very literal minded.)  I have the same dilemma here.  Bibbies, yes, every day, but there is free choice in tops depending on the weather.  I'd worked my way through sweatshirts and sweaters in winter all the way down to tank tops when it suddenly got hot.  Seeing what goes into the laundry is like a weather gauge.  We've had a sudden, but very welcome, drop in temperature the last few days and I found myself shivering with cold while at the computer yesterday.  It was back to a long-sleeve shirt again.

Neighbor Joe has taken advantage of these cooler days to work on the oak tree.  He estimates at least six cords of firewood when he's done, split between three of us.  At the current rate, that's about $1,800 total.  Joe is happy because he hasn't had to go into the forest alone to find a slash pile to cut up and haul, and there's the splitter right here that he hasn't had to rent.  I'm happy that Stove will have a good supply of fodder next winter.

I don't know whether it's a result of nervous exhaustion or GB is working his calming magic, but, man, I've been sleeping like a log the last few nights and waking up later.  Ralph is getting braver and braver, coming into the living room and even sitting on my lap at times, keeping a watchful eye on The Dog and ready to bolt if need be, but at least he's out of hiding now.  Celeste, the ever shy one, just ignores GB completely, and GB pays the cats no never mind.  Good boy.

It's back to long sleeves today.  It won't last, I know, but it sure is nice while it's here.

No comments: