Sunday, June 23, 2019

Watch And Wait

Yesterday morning before barn chores, I watched the Royal Ascot horse races.  Ohmigosh, I thought the Kentucky Derby was a big "do," but the Brits win this one.  The ladies' hats and dresses are spectacular and the men get in on the act, as well.  I've never seen so many formal morning coats, vests, and top hats ever.  It certainly was an elegant crowd.  The horses run on grass, not dirt, and many of the races were on the wide straight with no curves.  Okay, I'm hooked. 

While in my chair, there is a view out the open front door that includes two wooden power poles.  These poles are favorite posts for the vultures, and one was perched there yesterday.  A tiny bird was sitting nearby on the wire.  The little one was not as big as a dove, and it surprised me when David suddenly flew up and dive bombed Goliath.  The huge vulture merely ducked his head and didn't move.  I thought it was a one-off, but no.  Tiny would fly up from his wire and attack time and again.  Talk about a pest, and to what purpose?  Things that make you go hmmm.

Neighbor Joe was back at it in the morning.  He's got himself set up with an umbrella for shade and a cooler for water.  He's serious about this, for sure.

Celeste has been spending more and more time in my lap lately and rubbing on my ankles as she guides me to the kitchen for treats.  I had to tell her that I was going to ruin her life for awhile, that a new dog was coming to live with us, but he was a nice dog who wouldn't hurt her.  Ralph comes out whenever Honey is here, but Celeste has only gotten brave enough a few times.  I kept myself awake last night with whirling thoughts, hoping I was doing the right thing.  Where would GB sleep?  Would the cats get the courage to come out for breakfast?  How would I train GB to know the property limits since I can't walk the steep driveway anymore?  Ah, well.  I guess we'll find out.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I can't wait to read tomorrow's blog to see how it went!!! Fingers crossed.