Thursday, June 27, 2019

Needless Worry

For a person with an ESA, Emotional Support Animal, I've sure been stressed out this week.  Will the cats get along with the dog and vice versa?  If he's out of my sight, where is he?  Will he come back on his own?  Did I do the right thing?  Did I?!

Yesterday was probably the worst (for me).  I had to go to town, which, as is well known, not my favorite thing to do, and it was my first trip accompanied by GB.  I put on his little red ESA vest, which Florence called his bra and I think of as his girdle, so he knew he was going for a ride.  "Load up!" and he jumped right into the truck.  Okay, that went well.  He went right into the back compartment, which Florence had said he was used to, although there isn't much room back there.  I haven't received the authorization letter from Doc, so what would I say if I were challenged?  I decided to make the two quick stops first as a trial before tackling Wally World to see how it went.  The inbound trip was uneventful.

First stop.  You know how there are those dividers in a parking lot that are planted with greenery, trees, or flowers?  Nobody told me that boy dogs piddle here, there, and everywhere.  Hmmm.  Ok, into the store.  (Ohmigosh!  Guess who just showed up in the bedroom for the very first time?!  GB needed to go outside and he came in to ask politely.  No sign of Ralph, I assure you.)  Anyhow, I found it is a bit difficult to pick up just a few items with a leash in one hand.  We made it to the checkout stand regardless.  "Oh, what a darling dog!  What is his name?"  I guess I needn't have worried that he'd be accepted.  GB was a perfect gentleman and got smiles or kind words from other shoppers.  On to the second stop with the same results (they didn't have any plantings).  Okay, I was geared up for the big time, Wally World.

Lots of people, lots of kids, lots of shopping carts to avoid.  I was a nervous wreck.  Where was the emotional support when I needed it?  At the pharmacy counter:  "Oh gosh, I wish my dog was so well behaved."  I've never received so much attention from the assistants.  "Here, let me help you with that."  GB knows turn left and turn right, so I wasn't running over him with my cart.  "Puppy, puppy!" from little kids in their carts.  He was the star of his show and definitely lived up to his name.

On the ride home, GB opted for the front seat, which I preferred.  Bessie Anne being deaf, I'd gotten out of the habit of speaking to her, using hand signals and touch instead.  It was nice to have a companion to talk to and praise for his stellar performance.

Back at home, I will admit that I was wiped out.  I'm glad I recorded the first presidential debate because I didn't make it halfway through, woke up and went to bed, and slept through until daylight this morning.  All that worry for nothing.

No comments: