Saturday, May 23, 2015

BOLO

In cop parlance, BOLO is an acronym for Be On LookOut.

A quick aside here:  the Kids' dad was a peace officer.  A favorite story was that he was cruising slowly through a neighborhood when a little boy on the sidewalk hollered, "Hi, cop!"  Thinking to do a little PR, Jim stopped, backed up, and said, "Son, I'm not a cop.  I'm a policeman."  "Yeah?  Then why are you driving a cop car?"

To go on re. BOLO:  I think the hummingbirds must post lookouts.  There will be not one hummer in sight when I go out to refill their bottles.  As soon as I get to the deck rail, one will zoom in, make a quick recon, and suddenly the air is filled with tiny birds clicking and demanding that I hurry up!  Morning or evening, it matters not.  "She's here, She's here!"  (In my mind, all creatures call me She.)

I am continually on the lookout for one thing or another.  Just now I am watching for coyotes.  The beastie boys are singing at night and we've already had one disastrous encounter.  Warmer weather brings out the rattlesnakes, and I walk with my head down, watching where my feet are going.  I am so grateful that Craig cut back the tall weeds on the slope where Bessie goes.  Even with her failing eyesight, I think she could see a snake out in the open now.  By the way, I forgot to give credit last weekend to Clay for trimming the hedge in front of the house.  It had gotten pretty higgledy-piggledy and now is neat and tidy.  If I were looking, I might find a bird's nest in there now that there are no outdoor cats in residence.

Ralph wanders back and forth in the living room, exactly like someone at a crowded mall driving around and looking for a parking spot.  He'd like to sit on my lap, too, but rarely finds an empty place.

Completely off track, Fu Manchu is named after a lyric in a country/western song, "Live Like You Were Dying," written and sung by Tim McGraw:  "I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu."  Riding Fu as he bucks over ruts and into squirrel holes is as close to bull riding as I'll ever get.

I'm always on the lookout for spectacular sunsets, and am so often rewarded and am compelled to share.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah so...then Fu Manchu seems like the PERFECT name after all! :-)