Sunday, May 24, 2015


It was one of those days.  Colder inside the house than out, not much ambition to do much of anything.  It's only been a week and, can you believe it?, the furniture needs dusting again!  In my typical, well-practiced avoidance routine, I took Bess and we went out to sit on the deck.  Big puffy clouds floated overhead (I almost took a picture).  The bench was in sunlight and we listened to the sounds of nature and watched turkeys on parade.  If you're not going to do anything productive, the deck is the best place to do nothing.  About the time I was ready to go back in and face chores, the sky darkened, a stiff wind kicked up, and in the short while it took to walk from one end of the deck to the other, raindrops began to fall.  What the heck?  Instead of lagging behind as usual, Bessie picked up speed and beat me to the door.  Inside, the first bolts of lightning and rumble of thunder came.  Someone opened a fire hydrant in the heavens and rain poured down.  I ran around unplugging appliances, the lightning was that close.  Thinking of the goats, I supposed they'd be okay and the storm cell would pass quickly.  It didn't.  The deluge continued and I got worried.  It was a good two hours before their bedtime, but to leave them out in this would be cruel and unusual punishment and there was no sign of letup.  Gearing up, including Wellies, I went down to the barn.  All the girls were clumped together tightly in the small shed, terrified of the thunder, and it took some coaxing to get them to come out and around to go into their stalls.  The chickens had put themselves to bed so all that was needed was to shut doors.  Soaked to the skin, I changed clothes and looked around for a project to do in the house (besides dusting).

I'd made and either sold or given five wind chimes, and wanted one for myself.  Whenever I go down to the shop, I mash spoons, twist forks, and drill holes, so I had the supplies ready.  Beading and putting pieces together is a bit finicky and time consuming; a perfect rainy day project.  Of course, I'd no more than started when the rain stopped, the skies cleared, and the sun came out.

I knew when I saw these beads that they were what I wanted for my own chimes.

This shot was taken this morning.  It's where I think the chimes will live from now on under the covered portion of the deck, although I may decide to move them over where I can more easily see them from the dining room.

The sky is blue, not a cloud in sight.  But after yesterday....

No comments: