Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Dressing Up

Little boys clomp around in their dad's shoes.  Little girls try on Mama's hats and high heels.  Playing dress up is part of every kid's history.  It is said that as we grow old, we enter a second childhood.  I do believe I've made the conversion because I realized the other day that I am playing dress up in somebody else's hide.  The skin I'm wearing now belongs to a much larger person as it certainly doesn't fit me.  It sags and ripples, and that person obviously feels about ironing as I do about dusting because all the wrinkles are permanent accessories.  No amount of hot water will shrink it to fit.  This game of dress up is combined with hide-and-seek, because I'm the me I always was until I look in the mirror; that's when the switch occurs.  Ah well, it still covers all the pieces-parts.  The answer, of course, is to stop looking in mirrors.

Nature can't make up her mind.  The weekend was warm, up in the 70s.  Yesterday I awoke to rain and it was cold, cold, cold.  The rain stopped, but I wished I'd worn gloves down to the barn.  Back in the house, I finally broke down and lit the wood stove.  That was a good thing, because later in the day it rained again and hailed.  Sunset was gorgeous (no pictures until I get the cellphone and computer back on speaking terms).  Temps are down in the 30s this morning with heavy frost, but the skies are (temporarily) clear.

This is going to be a busy week.  Today is go-to-town and get the truck smogged.  I've been invited to Tinka's in Fiddletown to meet up with Kit and Earlene on Friday.  Unlike the town trip, that's an outing to look forward to.  I might dress up in something other than bibbies for that.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Bibbies or not...we will have SUCH fun!! :-)