Sunday, March 27, 2016

Ham And Eggs

"Merpy Christer!"  Yesterday was our family's combo holiday of the long-awaited Christmas and premature Easter.  Guess it's pretty obvious that we march to our own drummer and throw darts at the calendar to pick dates for get-togethers.  Since we're none of us quite grown up yet, I dyed eggs for my kiddies, but drew the line at hiding them.  I felt bad because I had no Easter candy to give my children.  I bought some, but I ate it.

Christmas has been piecemeal this year.  Dave and Clay came up on the agreed date and I'd given them the homemade goodies then.  Presents, per se, were held back until the group gathered.  Deb and Craig had come up last month and we exchanged gifts and they brought presents for Dave, Clay, and Larry, leaving them under the Christmas tree.  Keep up here.  Yesterday Dave was loaded with Easter bags filled with Christmas presents (I know, it's confusing), as well as chocolate bunnies and jelly beans.  Dave had gone hog wild for me and this hat was only one of piggy oriented presents in my bag.  I admit I'm partial to the oh-so-soft microwaveable pig neck warmer.  Sticking with the more conventional holiday, Deb and Craig brought a beautiful container of growing tulips for Easter.  I can't wait until they bloom.

As I've said before, every holiday dinner menu will be exactly the same as it was all the years before.  Easter is ham, hard-boiled eggs, red potatoes and peas combined, and jello folded into whipped cream.  No changes, no additions.  It's tradition!

The table cleared, cards came out and chips were distributed for another family tradition, poker.  I am very pleased to say that I came out ahead on our two-dollar buy in.

What I have not yet mentioned is that Clay was focused on Easter and forgot his Christmas gifts, and Larry wasn't able to come yesterday.  Christmas is going to be the never-ending holiday this year because the dadblasted tree is still in the living room and there are more presents underneath.  I guess I'll be saying ho-ho-ho on the Fourth of July.

As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over til it's over."  It ain't over yet.

It was a very good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh what a FUN blog, and I dare say that the hat, on you, is ADORABLE - and I mean it. So keep it by the front door, and anytime that there is an unexpected knock, don the hat and you will never get the deer-in-the-headlights-look if you open the door and your hair is in its wild-and-untamed phase...you will be met with a big grin (probably after the knocker takes it all in)! And yes, red white and blue on the tree seems very appropriate for the next time. It is so fun to read of your family traditions and the time it takes to make it all happen.