Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hodge-Podge Thoughts

Pinky is the mouse equivalent of Narcissus, the turkey who admires himself in anything shiny.  I set one of the buckets on the ground in the milking room.  Pinky runs around and around the stainless steel bucket, trying to get a better angle of her reflection.  What is it with these creatures?

The lawn tractor (mower) has had a vacation for months now, but all good things come to an end.  I need to take all the gas cans with me today when I fill up the truck.  Almost overnight, the yards are getting tall with weeds and need mowing.  Helper Dude used the last from the cans to start the burn pile.  It's still pretty cold, even with the sun shining.  The other morning there was ice in the troughs, and a chill wind blows daily.  If I don't get a head start on the weeds, it will just get harder later.  I admit I'm looking forward to tootling around (left turn, left turn, left turn - Fair Play NASCAR) when the weather is nice.

The drought may not be officially over, but I think it will be safe to plant a garden this year.  It will be another month or so before it will be safe from frost.  Deb and Craig already started their garden down in the valley, but birds stole most of their seeds already.  If it's not one thing, it's another.

I said I'd bring dessert tomorrow, but can't decide if I want to make a peaches-and-cream pie with the peaches in the freezer or buttermilk pie.  If you don't know buttermilk pie, you have no connections to Texas.  It is a light, lemony custard and is right up there with lemon meringue as my favorite.  I'm not much on cake, but love pie.  It might be remembered the year (was it just last year?) that I made eight pies in one day for our combined birthday party.  Dave mentioned yesterday that he will make the filling for butterscotch pie, but it never makes it to the pie shell because he ends up eating the butterscotch from the pan.

I guess the squirrels and turkeys have had their fill of acorns.  I got rid of a lot of the acorns in the shed by pushing a bucket or so out the door and they were gone by night fall, but lately they're starting to pile up and it's like walking on marbles when I put out the birdseed.  Now what am I to do with all the leftovers?

It's breaking daylight and I've got things to do and places to go, and had best get to it.

No comments: