Sunday, March 6, 2016

Off And On

Woke up at four this morning.  I know it was four because the clock told me so.  Went back to sleep.  Woke up at ??  It took a minute in complete darkness to realize the power had gone out.  Did I really open my eyes or am I still asleep and dreaming?  Nope.  No power.  Once again those nightlights that convert to battery were a lifesaver and I made it to the living room without incident.  Had just started pushing buttons on the land-line phone to contact PG&E (they're on speed-dial) when ta da! the electricity came back.  (As an aside, I find it so frustrating to listen to the recording tell me that it is so easy to inform PG&E of a power outage on their website.  If I had electricity, I wouldn't be in this predicament!  Duh.)   Grabbed the cellphone (which had been on charger) to see it was all of five o'clock.  Quickly began filling the coffee maker so I could start the day right.  Before I could flip the On switch, the power went off.  That's just plain mean.  It was, thankfully, only a blip and the lights soon came on.  Coffee in hand, I came back to the bedroom to find that the roaring winds last night had blown rain under the window left open one inch and onto the computer desk, the first time that's ever happened.  It was a doozy of a storm.  All is calm (so far) this morning, but I'm anxious to see if there was any damage done outside.

As if I could store them up in case we lost power yesterday, I watched a lot of DVRd movies.  "Papillon" (Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen) came out in 1973 and the Kids' dad and I went to see it in a theater.  I remember it was the first film I'd ever seen with graphic blood splashed at the camera and I gasped.  At the time, it was shocking.  The next movie was "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (Colin Firth, Michael Caine, Samuel L. Jackson - 2014).  How times have changed.  "Kingsman" had some of the goriest scenes going and I didn't even blink.  Colin Firth usually plays such sedate roles; he must have had a blast playing a shoot-'em-up, knock-'em-down action part.

Fingers crossed for power today.  After all, it's a NASCAR Sunday.

No comments: