Friday, March 25, 2016

Lost In Space

Phooey on all electronics.  They do not play nice and I've about had it up to here with their attitudes.  Yesterday it was my computer having a fight with my browser and neither one would speak to the other.  They'd been having a tiff on and off for some time, but rebooting (and a few harsh words) seemed to settle them down and get them to shake hands again.  Yesterday they slammed their doors and turned their backs.  Multiple, multiple tests and trials by the nice guy at technical support did not have the desired result.  I don't know how it is at anyone else's house, but my computer tower is in a dark corner and there is a spaghetti snarl of wires going every which way.  "Unplug the wire going from here to there and plug it into someplace else."  I'm standing on my head with a flashlight in one hand, trying to find the right wire and the right slot, feeling like a dolt because I can't find the slot on the computer marked "LAN."  Turned out that Tech Guy was misdirecting me and there was no such slot on the computer; he'd meant modem.  Crum.  After he'd run all those tests and I had done my stint as a contortionist, switching two plugs on the router fixed the problem.  It was as simple as that.

However (there's always a lurking however).  Aaargh!  Now my SmartPhone will not talk to the computer and will not retrieve any Email.  I further bollixed the situation by trying to change the password.  I know full well that all of my info is somewhere out in space, but I can't get there from here.

It was not a good day.

No comments: