Thursday, March 17, 2016

Wearin' Of The Green

It is said that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day.  My redheaded sister was, in fact, Irish so I claim rights by association.  Ralph and Celeste look about as different as Pat and I, but with his red hair, I'm pretty sure he's Irish.  (He's playing with Celeste's hairless hamster toy.)  I do know that the corned beef was in the crock pot by 5:30 this morning, carrots, potatoes and cabbage to follow.  I'm going heavy on the potatoes and cabbage so there'll be enough for Bubble and Squeak in the days to come.

I was asking a FB friend today if she was wearing green as a guard against getting pinched.  She hurriedly put on a green sweatshirt as she has granddaughters who would take advantage of the unspoken permission to "get Granny."  Evidently wearing green makes one invisible to leprechauns, thus safe from the little devils' pinches on St. Patrick's Day.  I have no idea when this tradition started, but it was passed to me by my mother, and every kid I knew back in the day was watching with eagle eyes and evil intent to find anyone not protected.  If you pinched by mistake a kid wearing anything green, it was two-for-one payback.  Be safe out there today.

Erin go bragh!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I did not know about the invisibility, but we DEFINITELY wore green, looked for green, and pinched those that didn't have it. Where has that tradition gone? I had on a green t-shirt and green shoes all day - but I sure didn't see much other green on my outings! But then again I have ALWAYS worn green on St. Patrick's Day...cuz when you are born on that day, you are DEFINITELY Irish on that day!!